Wednesday, August 30, 2006

(In)gratitude

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Drugged with dipenhydramine phenylpropanolomine and paracetamol, fighting off extreme drowsiness which makes me feel as if I'm in the middle of wake and sleep, with a headache waiting to be released full blown once the paracetamol has waned, I take back my previous wishes of getting sick so that I could have more time off work. I used to feel frustrated because no amount of getting wet in the rain made me sick. I would bargain "One day lang, Lord, please". I would shrug off concerned requests for me to take cover and reply that the rain had no effect on me, though hoping at the back of my mind that it would.

But this time it did. I've forgotten how awful it feels and now, I take back all those silent wishes I previously made. The ironic thing about it is that I couldn't take a leave from work because of the many deadlines I have to meet (my decision, lest you think HSBC is such a slavedriver)

So now, Lord, I am sincerely grateful for my previous healthy physical condition and hope that it comes back. And when it does come back, I resolve, with all of you as my witnesses, not to hope otherwise.

Because the grass will always be greener on the other side of the fence. And now that I'm on the other side, it's not green at all.

And because health is wealth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home