Titles
Recently in the office, due to a restructuring, our job titles were changed. From Manager, I am now "Assistant Vice President". The notice informing us of the title change though grimly reminded us that "This is not a promotion". And so, while friends and family were impressed by the new title, I was not because it actually did not mean anything. It was not the result of a job well done nor did it signify an increase in remuneration (so to those of you who intended to ask for a treat, sorry nalang...). It would seem to connote a significant position in the organization, next in line to the Vice President, who is next in line to the Senior Vice President, and who is next in line to the President. But AVPs in my company are a dime a dozen. And, even if I am an AVP, I am still the most junior in rank among the four lawyers in the company. A friend had said "Okay lang, basta AVP ka pa rin."
What's in a title anyway? It's just a word that puts a name to something. People however sometimes use it to assert power or authority, to impress or to brag in a non-obvious way, to solicit respect... an anting-anting, a credential. I myself have sometimes been guilty of emphasizing "attorney" with my name so as to argue my way out of a traffic violation or to let the person I am dealing with know that he/ she better not mess with me because I am a lawyer. But whenever I encounter some sleazebag lawyer, I would rather not attach "ATTY" lest people around will think that all lawyers are made out of the same mold.
Hence, it is not the titles that we carry that accurately describe who or what we are. It is still how we relate to people or how we act that will matter. My being an "AVP", or an "ATTY" or a "Lingkod member", or a "renewed Catholic", will not be significant if I treat people rudely or speak critically of others. I would rather be an untitled nobody so long as people I meet are reminded of God's love when I relate to them.
And so, the titles we currently bear or the titles we will still eventually bear ( bagay yata ang "Her Royal Highness" for me), should not reckon the way we expect people to treat us or how we will relate to people. Because really, the only title that matters is what was bestowed on us when Jesus came to earth and did the Father' will. From sinners, we were "promoted" to adopted sons and daughters of God - heirs of God and co-heirs of Christ. And this is one title I will display proudly and live my life accordingly.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home