Pain
Excruciating. Mind-numbing. Character-building. Now I have an idea what it feels like to be tortured. For the past two weeks, I have been undergoing therapy for my knee after my ACL reconstruction. I used to think I had a high pain threshold. Used to. This one nearly reduces me to tears and makes me wonder if it was a wise choice to go through with the operation. It doesn't help that the other patients around me scream out in pain. They've been undergoing therapy for a longer period than me, which means I'm gonna go through that too.
But I cannot reverse what has already been done. And I probably wouldn't want to turn back either. What keeps me going is the belief that, in six months or so (and if my ankle sprain has also healed by then), I will have my normal life back, where I'm free to dance again, to climb mountains, to try out surfing for a second time, to kneel in prayer. A small price to pay, so bring on the pain.

1 Comments:
God bless your path to recovery Karreen!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home